Tuesday, July 28, 2009

How about an upgrade?


I'm still a little frazzled as I'm writing this so please bear with me. About a couple of months ago I wrote about how I was about to embark on a new journey....to Kindergarten. Well, my friends those times....they are a changing!!!! I've got a new calling, and time will tell if it's the right one for me.
Early on this year, I was asked to go to a special reading conference about Leveled Literacy Intervention. Basically, it's an accelerated reading system that helps lower level readers become stronger readers. That pretty much just summed up what I had to sit through two days of training (you're welcome).
So anyways...I'm loving this system and I was one of the few teachers who was picked to use it and see how it works. Well....my kiddos loved it, and we had a lot of fun as well. As a result of all the positive data that was collected, my school district is implementing this as the required reading system for special education teachers to use......and guess who they picked to help train the teachers??? No...not her...ME!! I know, I was just as shocked too.
So...i'm a little bummed about not having to experience the little ones in kindergarten. I am going to miss seeing all of my old students, and hopefully I'll be able to check back in and see how they are progressing.
Now, here's the scary part.....I'm going to be working with teachers. For those of you who are teachers...you know that this is not an easy task. It'll be a hard challenge...and hopefully we'll all come out ok in the end. (please don't roll your eyes at me....I'm serious).
I know that on paper this position is a promotion, but when I think about it having to train and work with all the special education teachers in the district....I have to wonder just if this really is an upgrade. Only time will tell.....

2 comments:

Teacha said...

Congratulations!!!!

Can I give advice: The pet peeve for most teachers is for trainers to stand up and talk, talk, talk, talk to us the entire time. Knowing we would never do that in our classrooms. Use some of the activities/strategies that would be used with the students to facilitate, please! It may seem cheesy to do, but we secretly love it!

atxteacher said...

Congratulations! The switch from kids to teachers isn't as difficult as it might seem. I use much the same strategies for engagement for teachers as I did for kids. The main difference is I provide AMPLE CHOCOLATE for teachers :)