Saturday, May 9, 2009

A new adventure....


My principal the other day called me into her office. Well actually not really her, more like her assistant, but you get the idea. As I was walking down there, a thousand and two things were all going through my head. "What did I do this time", "Who did I offend today?". As I was going over all the different scenarios for my being summoned....the real reason was the last thing I would have ever expected. Which was....she wanted me to go to kindergarten. Yup....that's right......she wanted, me....to go to.....Kindergarten. This was a shock given the fact that I had transfered from my other school because they wanted me to do the same thing. I was taken away from this, especially since I had asked to move to a higher grade. Needless to say I was not too crazy about the whole move, and I did a lot of thinking on it the next few nights.
So a few days later I went in and spoke to her and asked her point blank.....why? Did I do something wrong? Did she think that I could not handle the upper grade levels?

And what she said next sold me on being a kindergarten teacher......

"We need strong teachers to help bring our low kids back to where they need to be at. We need to you to make sure that our kids have a great start and are ready for what's to come."

Once she put it that way, I began to warm up to the idea. Now it's been a week and I feel good about the idea. Who knows what's to be expected down the road from now. Hopefully a year from now, I won't be that much crazier than I already am......but I doubt it. Here's to good times and a bright future.

In case anyone out there was in the same boat about kindergarten or a teacher who had really has no clue about the importance of a good kinder teacher.....than you need to check this site out.

2 comments:

Mrs. Carter said...

Let me tell you something...you will love kindergarten! Your principal nailed it when it was said kinders need to know where they are going! You will be shocked and amazed at what they can actually do. When all other teachers in upper grades watch you march by in a line and they all say, "Oh, look how cute", as if you are marching past these little babies...you will see it very differently. They are students like any other grade level. :o)
However, when you think you can not possibly repeat yourself one more time...you will again repeat the same instructions.
LOL
Have high expectations and enjoy!

day356 said...

I can relate!